TRAINING CENTRE & SCHOOL
MINISTRY OF HOME AFFAIRS
Training wing of the institution is headed by DIG (TRG) ,Chief Instructor. He is assisted by Comdt STS, 2IC (Trg) and Procurement Officer in planning, preparation & conduct of Trg as well as procurement of various training stores and creation of training facilities/infrastructure. Specialist Training School (STS) conducts in-service courses for Officers, Subordinate Officers and Other Ranks in various disciplines.
SPECIALIST TRAINING SCHOOL
2. Specialist Training School (STS) has been an integral part of TC&S BSF since its inception. Lt Col Gurbaksh Singh was the first Commandant of STS. Initially, the school was designed to conduct in-service courses and train selected Force personnel in specialized subjects of Support Weapons, Field Engineering, Physical Training and Jungle Warfare. However, over the years the role has expended to include tactical training for Subordinate Officers of the force and trainees from friendly foreign countries. The School has also been entrusted the responsibility to conduct training pertaining to Bomb Detection & Disposal and Counter Insurgency & Commando.
ROLL OF HONOUR
3. Following officers have commanded the STS wing:-
IN-SERVICE COURSES CONDUCTED IN STS
4. The STS is organized in various groups as under. Each group is responsible for conduct of the courses mentioned therein:-
(a) SUPPORT WPN GROUP
It consists of two separate faculties of 81 mm Mortar and 7.62 mm Medium Machine Gun (MMG).
81mm MORTAR FIRING IN PROGRESS 7.62 mm MMG IN ACTION
(b)COMBAT ENGINEERING GROUP(CEG)
(c)COUNTER INSURGENCY & COMMANDO GROUP
(d)PHYSICAL TRAINING GROUP
(e) TACTICAL GROUP
Training Centre & School BSF has been given additional responsibility to conduct Tactical courses for Platoon Comdrs and Coy Comdrs.
5. The QRs for various courses run at STS have been specified.
6. Various courses are run at TC&S Hazaribag as per the schedule.
TRAINING OF FOREIGN NATIONALS
7. TC&S BSF has also been entrusted with the responsibility of training personnel from friendly foreign countries in various courses since 1976. The Institution has trained these personnel in Physical Training, Counter Insurgency and Commando, Field Engineering, Bomb Disposal and Tactical courses. Following number of foreign trainees have so far been trained in this institution:-
SUBSIDIARY TRAINING CENTRE
8. BTC (Now STC) was raised on 18th June 1967 at Hazaribag town as an integral part of TC&S. Lt Col M M Grewal was the first Commandant of BTC. 22,765 personnel of BSF and 2833 personnel of various Police organizations like CISF, IR Bn, State Armed Police, CISF, etc have been imparted their basic training by the BTC since its inception. In addition to this, BTC has trained technical personnel, Ministerial Staff and Class-IV Staff of BSF as well. The aim of the Recruit Training is to turn out a confident, disciplined and a self-reliant Constable who is physically fit and mentally robust so as to become an effective Seema Prahari.
ROLL OF HONOUR
9. Following officers have commanded BTC since its inception:-
10. The following recruits of various CPOs/SPOs & other organizations have been trained by BTC BSF Hazaribagh : -
(a) CISF = 1333
(b) Mizoram Police = 550
(c) Bihar Military Police = 594
(d) Army Sikh Regt = 90
(e) I R Battalion = 37
(f) Jharkhand Police = 229
Total = 2833
9. On 1st Dec 2011, BTC was upgraded to Subsidiary Training Centre (STC). Shri K L Sah, DIG is heading the STC. Though it is designed to have 05 Coys to impart basic training to recruit Cts, it is presently imparting training to 1800 recruits. One coy of STC conducts courses as given below:-
(a) PPC List D for eligible HCs
(b) Section Leader Course for eligible Constables.
(c) Map Reading Standard -II
10. In addition, STC also imparts basic training to SI(DE)/SI(LDCE) trainees as per requirement.
11. TC&S Hazaribag by virtue of its location and climate provides an excellent environment for training. Over the years, the training infrastructure has been upgraded. TC&S Hazaribag has the following ranges:-
(a) Small Arms Ranges
(b) Grenade Firing Range
(c) Reflex Shooting Ranges
(d) Field Firing Ranges for Bn Support Weapons
12. The institution also has Simulators to hone the firing skills of the trainees. The Simulators available are:-
(a) Small Arms Training Simulator (SATS)
(b) 81mm Simulator